Fit Your Feast
With Thanksgiving creeping up faster than we’d like, you might be nervously planning your wild crash diet for the guilt you are destined to feel after indulging in the mashed potatoes flowing with gravy and the second slice of pumpkin pie you can’t help but eat. Well, you’re not alone and don’t worry… this year you won’t have to throw your whole diet down the drain along with the crumbs left over from your grandma’s stuffing. Have no fear, we’ve done research of our own and compiled some tips on how to make this season’s Thanksgiving a little bit healthier.
1) Choose dark meat over light … as it turns out, our favorite drumsticks have around 50 calories less than a breast.
2) Choose a healthier (yet just as delicious) alternative to those marshmallow topped candied yams… this glazed sweet potato recipe will do just the trick.
3) Instead of the buttery mashed potatoes, try this cauliflower alternative. Trust us they are just as yummy.
4) Try a fresh cranberry sauce over the canned stuff. It’s time to avoid the high fructose corn syrup in the can and embrace the vitamin C and health benefits of going the extra mile to make your own.
5) Instead of fat laden turkey gravy, serve a vegan mushroom one instead. In the end you are just as happy and so is your waistline.